You want to transform your plain black or white helmet into a colored one. Yes, if you wish to buy a colorful and designed helmet, it will heavy on your pocket for sure. But the good news is you can convert your lifeless helmet to an attractive one by using some basic painting equipment like air brush, spray gun and angle polisher and make your own customized helmet. It’s easy, but depends on patience and skill. Before you start coloring your helmet, have a look at these useful tips.
- Check with the paint supplier and helmet manufacturer to ensure that the chemicals you are going to use to paint your helmet, is compatible with the base material of it.
- Prepare your work area. It should be clean, dry and dust free. Get your tools ready. Put the helmet on a workbench to enjoy a less strenuous job.
- Remove the visors along with any plastic attachments.
- Degrease the helmet with a mild solution. You may use dish washing liquid too. Use proprietary wax and grease remover to complete the degreasing process. You can use Acetone, if you have enough knowledge on how to use it safely. Wear disposable gloves when handling the helmet.
- After this, Use a fine wet sand paper to remove the sheen. Thus, you will get a new base to paint. When you get a flat dull appearance on your entire helmet, clean it using a damp cloth. After drying completely, use a tack rag to wipe off small dust particles.
- Mask out the design. Apply the first coat of paint. Allow it to dry and then apply another coat. When your base coat is ready, apply the design. Avoid skin contact with the surface of helmet to avoid grease spots. Apply the masking tape with great care and patience to ensure symmetry.
- To give your helmet an absolute colorful look, try different colors rather than two. After applying each coat, allow it to dry and then use different colors on it. Cover all the areas of helmet with great care one by one and as per design. You can use masking tape or paper during this process to get proper design.
- When you are sure that the colors have completely dried, slowly remove the masking tape, so that the paint is not lifted during it. Use a tack cloth to remove any dust particle under the tape. Finally, apply a Urethane clear coat. Four coats of clear coat are sufficient generally. Allow the clear coats dry. It will take nearly 12 to 24 hours. After that, clean the entire helmet surface using wet sand paper and 1500-2000 grade paper to remove any dust particles or small imperfections. Use an appropriate polishing compound to have a shiny look.
- After polishing for the final time, put back the attachments like visor, plastic attachments etc onto the helmet.
And you are done! Enjoy a colorful but safe ride with your customized helmet.